Monday, August 21, 2006

A Plethora of Topics

I'm finding it hard to choose what I should write about these days. There are so many things that I would like to share, but my time is limited and I'm sure my reader(s) aren't necessarily interested in every topic I think up. For example, I could write about the ant problem in our kitchen and how Duncan and I both (individually) thought that our former exterminator (that we hired to get rid of the one mouse we had over a year ago that died right after we hired them and not because of their efforts but because of a snap trap that we hadn't yet removed, but we'd already signed a contract for year and we canceled the service after that year) was bringing in truckloads of ants and dumping them on our back patio with the mission to enter our kitchen however they saw fit. I could also write about the unsuccessful potty training "event" we had on Saturday and how Amelie has asked twice to sit on the potty this morning, but hasn't "produced" anything. Or I could write about how we all have colds and Violet goes for her six month check-up later today and I'm not sure they'll let her have her shots.

However, I think I'll write about our pastor's sermon last night and what I got out of it. It was about a lot of things, as all of his sermons are, but the main thing I learned was that it is sinful to live for free time. It is wrong and, not what God intended, for us to tend to our vocations with the simple goal of getting through the day,week, or career with the focus being on our evening off, weekend, or retirement. The focus should rather be on our calling, while we are in the midst of each thing. For me, this would be as I do dishes or laundry, as I read books or do puzzles with Amelie, as I change diapers or nurse Violet. We are to do each of them "as unto the Lord." This is not a new concept for me, as this was one of the primary focuses of the CCO ministries of which I was a part. It was an excellent admonishment and encouragement to me to be faithful in my calling as a wife and mother and homemaker. Our pastor clarified, as I will, that free time isn't a bad thing and it too should be used to glorify God, but it just shouldn't be the reason we go through the motions of the rest of life. I am so thankful for this reminder. I came to me at the perfect time, which, based on the little I know of God, isn't surprising in the least.

UPDATE: sermon is now available for download.(size > 3MB)

3 comments:

Sweet November said...

Thanks for passing on the summary of the sermon. Its so true and I'm so not doing that. It makes us such slaves too - we don't enjoy the moment and we don't do good jobs and when we do have free time there is pressure to make it good since there's so little of it. I struggle with a balance between guarding my free time too much and setting aside a sabboth when I'm not talking about "what needs to be done."

chrissie k said...

Very appropriate read for this mother who just returned from a two week vacation ... I spent all day yesterday planning where we would go next summer ;) Is this sermon available on-line?! Matt and I may need have a date w/ our computer. We've been having a hard time with our return.

Sweet November said...

I too am having a hard time returning from vacation. Maybe we need a support group...:)