Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Homemade Summer: Peanut Butter "Surprise" Balls

So Homemade Summer has meant the end of store-bought snacks, for the most part.  As we have run out of things (animal crackers, graham crackers, pretzels, fruit snacks, etc.)  I haven't replaced them on my next shopping trip.  Rather, I've been on the lookout for wholesome, yummy snacks that I can make at home.  The one featured in this post has probably been the most successful, in that everyone likes them, they are fairly healthy, very portable, and relatively easy to make.  This recipe doesn't even use an oven which means children can easily help and the house stays cooler in these hot summer months.  I can tell you that I've made most of my forays into homemade-ness once or twice.  However, I can't tell you how many times I've made this recipe!  That's how many times I've made it!  I do know that the last three times have been double batches.  And that lasts about a week. 
All that being said, let me introduce you to Peanut Butter "Surprise" Balls!

Here's a peek at a bowl full o' ingredients. 

And the "SURPRISE!" ingredient.

And an action shot of me making them late one night.

And the finished product!
I've adapted this one from a recipe for Honey Milk Balls in, you've guessed it:  the More-With-Less Cookbook!

Peanut Butter "Surprise" Balls
 adapted from recipe for Honey Milk Balls in the More-With-Less Cookbook

Combine in a bowl:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use organic and natural)
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
chocolate chips

Mix well, then knead by hand until blended.  Shape into small balls formed around a single, "surprise" chocolate chip.

So obviously, the chocolate chips aren't a surprise anymore.  However, they were the first time!  You could mix it up and use craisins, raisins, peanuts, etc.  Something different every time!  Or a mixture of "surprises" in each batch.  
My kids LOVE these!  Even Violet-if-it's-not-made-in-a-factory-I-don't-like-it-and-I-won't-even-try-it-Ella.  Yeah, Homemade Summer hasn't been Violet's favorite.  But she likes Peanut Butter Balls!

2 comments:

Sweet November said...

Question - the rolled oats, that's just the Quaker stuff, right? I heard something yesterday about steel-rolled oaks being better for you and I'm wondering if those would work too.

Nancy said...

Quaker and other folks sell "Quick Oats" that cook for a minute and "Old Fashioned Oats" that cook for five minutes. I always buy the 5 minute kind for eating and recipes. However, we've eaten very little since discovering Steel Cut/Irish Oats. YUM!! They cook for 20-30 minutes and can't be substituted for this recipe or others calling for rolled oats unless you're looking to break some teeth:). But they are super yummy to eat for breakfast!