Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homemade Summer: Corn Chips

A couple of weeks ago,  I made these for the first time.  I get many of my homemade ideas from the internet, however the other place I regularly use is our More-with-Less Cookbook.  It's got LOADS of ideas for not-what-you-normally-think-of as homemade:  crackers, cream-of soups, ketchup, whipped topping, fruit gelatin, salad dressings, and much more.  Last week, I made some corn chips to go with our dinner of confetti rice squares. 


I LOVE how the evening sun enhanced the colors in these photos!

Here's the recipe:
Corn Chips
from the More-With-Less Cookbook

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine:
1 c. yellow cornmeal
2/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
2 T. dry milk solids (I always used powdered milk for this ingredient, which I assume is the same thing.)

Stir together in a separate bowl:
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. oil
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 t. Tobasco sauce (I didn't have this so I didn't use it.) 

Add liquids to dry mixture and stir with fork.  Knead a little until smooth.  Grease two cookie sheets and sprinkle each with cornmeal.  Divide dough in half.  Roll out each half directly onto cookie sheet with floured rolling pin, rolling dime-thin.  Sprinkle lightly with paprika, garlic, onion, or seasoned salt.  Run rolling pin over once more.  Prick with fork.  Cut in squares or triangle.  Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. 


I chose to use paprika, so they would look pretty.  And while they were very attractive, the flavor was too much for my kids, who didn't care for this first batch.  In the future, I'll opt to use something else.  But there will be a next time!  These are a great accompaniment with a meal and a great snack--if there are any leftovers!

1 comment:

Mrs. Fix said...

Looks good... not for our household... but it looks good!