Sunday, September 03, 2006

There's a party goin' on right here.

A celebration to last thoughout the years.
So bring your good times and your laughter too.
We're gonna celebrate your party with you!
Come on now. CELEBRATION! -Kool

Do you remember, when you were a kid, and you didn't want to go to bed because you were afraid you were going to miss something really good? Like everyone that was awake was having a party? Duncan and I have talked numerous times about how when you have young children, post-bedtime (7:30 in our house) is a party just about every night. We eat popcorn, drink soda, watch movies, play games, eat ice cream, etc. every night! (Ok, so not all of it every night, but usually at least some of it!) Amelie, we believe, is beginning to learn our secret. Every night, as we tuck her into bed, she whispers (so as to not wake Violet who went to bed at 7:00): "Wha ya gonna do?" And when I answer, laundry, dishes, talk to daddy, etc. she'll ask "Whas daddy gonna do?" and I'll have to go through the same list. Well tonight, she asked, after my usual responses: "Wha ya gonna talk 'bout?" I know that partly, this is a stalling tactic, which she has gotten quite good at of late. ("But I want to read MORE Bible stories!" Should we really discourage that?) But part of it, I believe, is that she's realized mommy and daddy don't go to bed when she does. We stay up, get things done and continue to live our lives. She goes to sleep and the world keeps turning. She's beginning to realize that she may actually be missing out on something. So my question is this: Do I tell her the whole truth of what we'll be doing? Or do I continue to tell her the not fun part of the truth?

No comments: