Wednesday, December 09, 2009

First Loss of Tooth

On the Sunday evening of November 15th, Amelie wiggled and wriggled her first tooth right out of her mouth! Being that she's only 5 and 3/4 years old, I was completely unprepared for such an event. (I lost my first tooth two or three month after my 7th birthday!) She was quite pleased at her accomplishment, as might be evident from the photos below.


What was really fun was finding out that my packrat-ness came in handy. I knew exactly where to find my tooth pillow from my childhood. I threw it in the wash and exchanged it under the pillow (with a little cash in the pocket of course) for the tooth that Amelie had put under her pillow in a plastic bag. It was so very exciting!
And following suit with our MO, we don't "do" the tooth fairy. We talked about it, explained that some people believe that it's real, but we're all in on that secret too. And it's a good thing, since Violet overheard us talking about the T.F. in passing and started to panic and ask all sorts of questions. "Who's coming into my room? Does she have wings? Does she fly?" Hilarious. I wonder why more kids don't ask about these characters coming into their homes to take or leave things. It's all weiredness, if you ask this mama.

4 comments:

practicalgirl said...

congrats to amelie! i used to like to drink my juice by sticking a straw through my teeth when i would lose one. big fun. ;)

Lynn said...

Okay, that pillow is stinkin' adorable....and so is the girl with the hole in her face. Way to go Amelie! Hope the payoff was BIG!

Love the holiday look around here...

Sweet November said...

Congrats to Amelie! So you still give her money and she still puts it under her pillow without mentioning the TF. Good idea. I hadn't even thought of that. We don't "do" the TF/SC/EB thing either really. This Christmas should be interesting though since we'll be at my mom and my sister will be there and I think she does the SC thing with her kids. Our strategy so far has been just not to mention it. But we will need to reevaluate that soon as Dylan becomes more aware and more involved with other kids. I'm trying to find a good book about St. Nick so we can talk about him that way - you know the real person. Although.....Martin and I have been noticing lately how (and i've talked to another mom about this too) that there isn't a very thick line between reality and pretend in the mind of our three year old (and this other mom's kid, who was actually 6). Maybe it's more a boy thing, I don't know. But Dylan talks about cartoon characters and his friends and cousins and their pets in the same sentences (like listing them when we are praying). So when you don't get the difference between fantasy and reality anyway, is there much gained by not playing up the SC thing? I don't know. We still won't give our kids gifts from SC but I think I'm a little more softened to the idea these days. But as with so many things it depends on your kids. If the idea of someone coming down their chimney in the middle of the night would freak them out then why give them the stress. I remember being excited about it so there must have been some suspension of reality going on which can be fun at times. But then again why distract from the real meaning of Christmas when there are so many other distractions anyway...yada yada yada I could debate with myself for hours...

Deb said...

Good job Amelie!
Did all that thunking & bumping around by Mr. Evans help?? :)
That's really cute about Violet's questions about the TF. You are absolutely right...why don't children ask more questions like that?