Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beauty Amidst the Chaos

I love tulips. Adore them even. Most people that know me well are aware of this. The name of this blog even reflects this fact. So when returning home from a long weekend without my husband (a Valentine's Day weekend, that is) I found twenty tulips on my kitchen table. He knows me. Knows that I love any flowers, but love tulips most of all.
The next day, my mom showed up with ten more tulips! She had given me some for my birthday, but ended up keeping them (and my three children) as Duncan and I stole away to NYC for the following weekend. She promised to buy me more when I could enjoy them, since they don't last long. Little did she know, I was well endowed with tulips at the moment. Not too worry! Never too many tulips, in my opinion! So, I removed the original twenty, got out a bigger vase, trimmed the stems, and VIOLA:
I placed them on the kitchen table. Which also happens to be the craft table. And puzzle table. And game table. And (as seen above) lacing card table. It usually holds the remains of drinks or snacks or meals, in case someone get a little bit hungry or a little bit thirsty a little later on.
But such is life! Snippets of beauty amidst massive amounts of chaos. My life isn't very orderly. I don't have a regular cleaning or organizing routine. There is always laundry to be done. Crumbs to be swept. Fingerprints to be wiped. But in the middle of all of the chaos are beautiful memories. Peals of laughter. Fits of giggles.
As I ponder these truths on the eve of my eldest's fifth birthday, I mourn that it's already gone so quickly. Have I been a momma for five years? Seriously? As I lay in the hospital bed five years ago this night, progressing oh-so-slowly, I never could have known. I never could have know the pain or the joy or the anxiety or the love that is motherhood.
I am so thankful for this privilege. This honor. This blessing. These blessings. Of being a mother. Of living this calling. This beautiful calling.

5 comments:

ChrisandMissy said...

So sweet and true, Nancy. I'm glad you have all those lovely tulips, they are lovely.
PS- have you heard of the Tulip Festival in Skagit Valley, WA? Fields and fields of tulips in bloom. I don't know if they have something like that anywhere closer to here, but you would love it.

Annie said...

Great post! I look forward to seeing Amelie's birthday celebrations!
It is so great to be reminded of the blessings of motherhood - and that someone else has crumbs and fingerprints and chaos all over their house as well! :)
~annie

Lynn said...

Beautiful thoughts and beautiful tulips.

CA Skellys said...

I love tulips, too! And I love beauty amidst the chaos...

Mrs. Fix said...

Lovely.