Monday, February 25, 2008

Part 2, Birth Story Two: Violet Ella

When we got to the hospital, I had to wait in the waiting room for what seemed like a really long time in very uncomfortable chairs. Duncan rubbed my lower back. Did I mention that I have NO tolerance for pain? I am such a wimp. Really I am.
When I finally got back to the Labor and Delivery room and was checked, it was determined that I was 2cm. I had told myself that if I was 8 or more, that I would labor for a bit, but at only two, I was afraid of a repeat performance from my experience having Amelie--labor and push for a really long time and then end up with a c-section anyway.
So, I was prepped for the c-section and was wheeled down to the OR. The procedure went off without a hitch. Violet was born at 9:31pm on Thursday, February 2nd. The only problem was when the doctor announced,
"It's a boy!"
"WHAT!?!?" I exclaimed, to which she quickly corrected herself. I think she was just stunned by Violet's size AND she was a non-native English speaker--her name and accent were French.
They placed Violet on the scale and we were all amazed--
Can you see it through the blur? That's right. 10lbs. 10.5 ounces. I was SO thankful for the c-section at that point. It turned out that she was 23" as well. ENORMOUS!


Here's our little sumo wrestler after her first bath in the recovery room.


Here's one of her busting out of the hospital issue t-shirt.


Here we are on Friday morning.


Violet gave Amelie this shirt when Amelie came to meet Violet. Amelie was VERY excited to meet her baby sister, Viyet.


The first of many love pats.


This is one of my favorite pictures from Violet's birth. I believe this was Saturday.


This was Sunday morning before we were discharged and I was trying to be artsy. I LOVE baby feet.

As I've said before, my experience with Violet was the simplest. Part of my struggle with scheduling a c-section was "choosing" my baby's birthday. I felt very strange about that aspect of things. So, I love that she came on God's time rather than mine. I recognize had she been born on Friday the third, that would have been God's time as well, but you know what I mean. Her arrival was unexpected and a surprise, and I was thankful for that.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

At the same time, we were trying to coax Lucy out! I think it's so funny that they were born about 45 minutes apart! (10:46 p.m.)

Sweet November said...

I will always remember Violet's birthday because it was the date of my last period before Dylan was born and I felt like I had to tell the doctors that date every time I went in for the first 3 months.

CA Skellys said...

My babies were all big but wow! She looks like she's two months old! You're amazing for carrying her!

I've liked having big babies. They look so healthy and chubby right away. And I was always impressed that my 9 pounders never wore newborn diapers. The nurses always had to go get a pack of 1s. It's funny what we're proud of :)

Megan said...

Wow - you basically skip through a whole size of clothing when your kids are that big! My girls were both under 7lbs - which definitely was depressing when you think about all the weight left to lose. My girls also had such chicken arms and legs so I loved it when they got nice and chunky - and boy, did they get chunky!

Mrs. Fix said...

I love baby feet too -- but Rocks were very funny looking so I didn't get many pictures of them when he was first born. They are more normal now, but not really. Strange toenails... I'm enjoying these stories! Keep 'em coming! Although, I guess I sorta know the last one!