Wednesday, January 17, 2007

On Faith

At 12, her dad died suddenly. A heart attack, I think. I'm not sure because I didn't know her then. Her mom was left to raise her and her little brother on her own.

While in her late twenties, her mother lost a relatively short battle with cancer. An orphan before she was thirty. I can't even imagine. Now, she and her brother, and their respective families were all that was left of their tiny family.

Not even two hours ago, I got off of the phone with her. As it turns out, one month ago today, the day before her 33rd birthday, her brother, a 26-year old husband and father of two, was killed in a roof collapse of a mine near Morgantown, WV, their hometown.

Stunned. Shocked. In awe.
That's how I feel. How must she feel?

"It's a strange life," she said. Yes, sweet lady, it is. I can't begin to think of how she must feel. Sad, she said. Deeply sad. Yet her faith rings through. Loud and clear. "God's will is perfect," she says. "And there must be good that will come from this." Now THAT is faith.

Please pray for my friend, Kirstin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've been saying prayers for kirstin. i can't even imagine...

chrissie k said...

praying here too...

Nancy said...

Thank you, dear friends!