Friday, December 19, 2008

Updated: Sharing Christmas 2008: A Salada Holiday

So many of you have asked about the Noah's Ark Christmas tree. My parents found it for me at a Plow and Hearth tent sale four or five years ago. They don't carry it any more, but a quick Google search found this result. My parents bought it for $5 or $10 and it was originally $50 at Plow and Hearth. I will say that I don't believe the quality warrants the higher price. It's cute, but it's not very durable.

*********************************************************************************
Original Post:

Last year, I participated in Megan's Sharing Christmas event. Well, she's hosting it again this year and even though I'm a day late, I figured I'd join in!

To start with, I'll remind folks that our last name rhymes with the word "holiday," so my post title is a bit catchy.

Our home looks a bit different this year even without all of the Christmas decorations. We are thankful to have been able to do some redecorating this past October and November.
Let's get down to business!
Since our nativity is very child-friendly, it usually looks something like this.




Our Noah's Ark Christmas tree is also a favorite plaything. Therefore, the animals aren't always arranged as Mommy would have them!



We once again made gingerbread houses at my sister, Karen's, house. This is Amelie's marvelous creation. (If I get time, I'll post more pictures from our adventures with gingerbread.)




This is the debut of our dining room on the blog. The floor used to be carpet, but now, thanks to Duncan's craftiness, it is laminate. We LOVE it!




In the center of the table is a wreath made of live greenery from our yard and a Swedish angel chime. When you light the candles, the angels twirl around, making the bells ring.



Because of our furniture rearrangement, our tree is in it's new spot. I LOVE having our tree in the front picture window!



A new addition to our tree is this skirt. In the late 80s or early 90s, my mom made latch hook tree skirt for herself, each of my siblings (who were all married by then) and my grandparents. I was still living at home and had no need for my own. Since my grandparents both passed away last December, my mom offered me their tree skirt. I LOVED the one we bought at Target several years ago, but this one has meaning and I'm thankful to have it.





Another change is how our Christmas cards are displayed. I cannot take credit for the idea. I stole it from MckMama.



I hope you've enjoyed a little peek into our home this Christmas. I also hope you head over to Megan's blog to enjoy even more decorated homes.

May you know the love of Jesus this Christmas. After all, "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown." -Linus van Pelt in A Charlie Brown Christmas

7 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Nancy - glad you made it! Our tree is in the front of our house this year too - even though we don't have a great picture window like you guys. I love driving up and seeing the lights of the christmas tree from outside.
Such a cool memory behind your tree skirt. I remember your Noah's ark from last year - where did you find it? It is so cool!

Yeah for laminate flooring - it's so easy to install (well, i say that b/c i wasn't the one doing it) and easy to maintain!

Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post... thanks so much for sharing your home with us. Our kid friendly nativity's look so similar, I love your picture. I took mine after the kids were in bed and all was in place, but you are so right...it rarely looks like that..nor would I want it too, that's why we have a kid friendly one, right? I also love your noah's ark tree...I've never seen anything like it! Your home looks so nice... not that I saw it before the renovations, but it looks super now.. thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Such a cool memory behind your tree skirt. I remember your Noah's ark from last year - where did you find it?

Crafty P said...

Nancy,
love the decorations and think that card hanging idea is so fun!

the cranberries on the tree are so sweet, too. I'm thinking you bought that and didn't sit there and string them all, right?

love the latchhook christmas tree skirt, too. THat had to take forever to make! what a beautiful piece of family history to have in your home!

thanks for sharing CHristmas!

Lynn said...

Okay, I went to college with "Life at the Circus" too...how do you keep meeting all my college friends?!?

Love your kid friendly decorations. Is that really a Santa decoration I saw? Are you sure you're really a Christian? JK ;o)

Mrs. Fix said...

I am glad I got to see this post since I didn't get over to your house during the holiday season! See you at church tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy-- I keep checking in for updates. Did you guys get sick over the holidays? There seems to be something going around, but we avoided it-- thus far. Hope you and your household are well. I look forward to more pictures, when you have a chance. --chris f