Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sharing Christmas: A Salada Holiday

(For those of you that don't know, our last name is pronounced "Soliday." So my post title is a little rhyme=).)
Welcome to the Saladas on Overbrook Lane!


Our stockings are hung up the stairs...no fireplace or mantle in this home. Notice the nebulizer box on the end of our Christmas display shelf. I guess that's a part of our Christmas this year, since Linus has RSV.


I'll say up front that I am no Martha Stewart. With three children under four, our theme is child-friendly while trying to cater to the tastes of Mom and Dad.

My husband prefers white lights over colored. I like them as well, but I prefer to have some color.



To please us both, I've added the greenery and ribbons to the front of the house.









Upon entering you will find an all wood, indestructible nativity (or activity, as Amelie calls it) scene. She got it as a Christmas gift from my parents last year and has been enjoying it this year a great deal.










On the kitchen table you will find an advent countdown candle. We (try to) light it every night at dinner and watch the number burn down. When we first lit it, we talked about how many people think that there are other reasons for Christmas besides Jesus and that that wasn't true. We read the Christmas story from the Bible and have re-told it many times since.









The past two years, my sister, Karen, has had us over to her house to make homemade, from scratch, gingerbread houses. She mixes up the dough, presses it into the mold and bakes and bakes and bakes for days to prepare. (The mold only makes one house at a time.) Then, she assembles them with Megan's (her youngest) help. Then we arrive to decorate and eat candy! Amelie is sitting behind hers, but Violet and Linus are sitting behind each others. (Didn't Linus to a phenomenal job?)







Our tree is artificial and little and kind of sorry, but I love it--especially all decorated! I love the red beaded garland.












This is our Noah's Ark Christmas tree. My Dad bought it for us a couple of years ago at a massive Plow and Hearth sale down in VA somewhere. The girls have a blast playing with all of the animals.











What does Noah's Ark have to do with Christmas, you wonder? Well, the story is a reminder of our need for Christ in this sin sick world. And Christmas, after all, is when we celebrate His coming. I couldn't think of a better connection!




And here's a close up of Noah. (I was just practicing with my zoom.)


So there you have it! I hope you've enjoyed the peek into our home at Christmastime. May you know the love of our Savior Jesus Christ as we celebrate His birth!





If you're interested in seeing more homes in their Christmas grandeur, head on over to Megan's to see the list of Sharing Christmas participants!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing Nancy! I'm so impressed you were able to be all decorated with three little ones and then have time to get things posted while you were dealing with RSV! No fun.
Your house is lovely - I really like the nativity and Noah's ark tree - things both my kids would love. I think your tree is very sweet and the garland reminds me of a strand I have on our tree - for some reason we just have one small strand - maybe I should send it your way!
Merry Christmas

julie said...

Merry Christmas! Your house looks beautiful :)

Dawn said...

Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the fun tour. Our house is greatly lacking in Christmas decor this year....probably has something to do with being on the other side of the world. :) Maybe I will participate next year.....

Crafty P said...

Merry Christmas, Nancy! I, too, love the Noah's Ark and wooden Nativity- very cool. And your tree is lovely, not sorry! Beautiful home and beautiful family!

Miss French Jessica said...

I love your Noah's Arc tree! Wonderful! Oh, and your Advent candle is awesome...where did you find it? My kids would love that!

Thanks for sharing your home with us! Merry Christmas!