Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Christmas Meme

Alright, so I wasn't tagged by either of the ladies on whose blogs I read this, but I decided to tag myself and get this going amongst my blog friends. Some fun stuff here--

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
My eco-conscious self insists on gift bags although I will do paper when I run out or when the gift bags I have won't work with the shape and size of a particular gift.

2. Real tree or artificial?
Since my father was a firefighter and saw numerous house fires due to real trees, I grew up with an artificial tree exclusively. We have one and use it since we're often not home for a week at Christmastime. We'll be home this year and considered buying one, but then we dropped so much money into the whole plumbing issue, and decided we'd save money and just use what we've got. In all honesty, a real tree intimidates me!!

3. When do you put up the tree?
As soon after Thanksgiving as possible.

4. When do you take the tree down?
After Epiphany (January 6th--the 12th day of Christmas) but before my birthday on January 15th.

5. Do you like eggnog?
It's o.k. My husband loves it. A sip or two from his each year is enough for me.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
This one's easy--the yellow and white bike with training wheels, a flowered basket, and a banana seat that I picked out of the Sears Wishbook. I got it and LOVED it. I loved it even more when I found out 10 or 12 years later that it was actually my sister's old rusty turquoise and white bike and that my whole family worked together to transform it into what I wanted. I am the youngest of four (my siblings are 12, 11 and 8 years older than me) and my parents didn't have much money. So, when I would go to bed, they'd put the bike on the kitchen table and transform it into the picture from the Wishbook. I had no idea and I loved it.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Amelie got a wooden one from my parents last year that the children can play with. Amelie has already had a good time with it so far.

8. Hardest person to b
uy for?
Most people, in my opinion, since we live in a society where most of us need and want nothing. And when we do, we go out and buy it.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

This year, that would be Violet. She's getting her very own baby doll!

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I'm afraid the giver may read this...don't worry it's no one that checks in here on a regular basis.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. I love to send them and to receive them--especially with update letters and pictures!!

12. Favorite Christmas movie?
A Christmas Story--"You'll shoot your eye out!"
and A Charlie Brown Christmas

13. When do you start shopping for Christm
as?
In the late fall.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas presen
t?
Probably, but I can't think of anything specific. I've definitely been guilty of regifting.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Magic Cookie Bars and Chex Mix.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Either, but my husband's always been partial to clear. So that's what we use.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home
Usually travel, but this year we're staying home!

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Yep.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
A snowflake star

21. Open gifts Christmas Eve or morning?
When I grew up, we opened one on Christmas eve and the rest in the morning. We haven't been home enough to establish any kind of tradition.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
When people (the media) talk about "the real meaning of Christmas" and it lacks Christ. Grrr. Also, when people have those giant blow up decorations and they don't keep them on during the day. It's very distressing to small children!

23. What I love most about Christmas?
What's not to love?

If you're up for it, I'd like to hear from Heather, Melanie (on either or both blogs), Chrissie, Lisa, and Megan.
Merry Christmas!



5 comments:

Lynn said...

SO FUN!!! Honestly, I tagged you first. I decided to tag people from different areas of my life. One from MD, one from Korea, and one from my family. You were one of the first people I thought of. Then, I remembered that Rachel sent one of these things before, so I knew she liked them. I changed the name to her! So glad you filled it out. I LOVED the bike story. How special!

Megan said...

I saw that I was tagged the other day and I'll get on it! Gotta a question though and I have never been able to ask anyone - probably b/c it's obvious or something - what does meme stand for? I know that it is but have no idea why it's called that. help me out!

Nancy said...

Lynn, you're so funny--you don't need to explain yourself and your meme tagging choices! I'll admit, when I saw that Sarah tagged you, I thought "Oooo, maybe Lynn will tag me!" And when you didn't I decided to just jump right in and do it anyway!! No worries!

Megan, you are so cute! Probably at least HALF of the blogging world has no idea what meme means and is afraid to ask! I didn't know what it meant until yesterday when I looked it up on m-w.com (merriam-webster) to settle a pronunciation discussion my husband and I were having. (I said "may-may" and he said "me-me") There I found out that it's pronounced "meem" (we were both wrong) and the definition which is "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." So there you have it: your blogging definition for the day.

chrissie k said...

I'll get on this too! Thanks for the heads up on your comment this morning. I love that you tagged me and my sweet sis-in-law.

Short Stop said...

I'm SO glad you did this! I loved reading your answers! SO fun to get to know your family traditions!