Friday, August 01, 2008

Color-Coordinated

Amelie has gotten very interested in picking out everyone's clothes each morning--even mine! This past Saturday when we went to the zoo, (Yes, Heather, it was the National Zoo. Is there any other =)?) Amelie was very excited to have picked out her all-blue outfit. So going along with the monochromatic theme, she chose an all-pink outfit for Violet. She's working hard at the matching thing and I think it's adorable.
A few weeks ago, Linus needed a new outfit in the middle of the day. I asked Amelie to choose one and bring it to me. She was so excited to discover an orange and blue plaid shirt that matched PERFECTLY with an orange and blue plaid pair of shorts that Linus has. As you can imagine (which you'll have to do since I failed to photograph the occasion), they were two different plaids that were mostly blue and orange. I thought her logic was perfect and dressed Linus in an outfit that clashed horribly because his well-meaning older sister was so excited about the discovery she had made.

As much as I like to have the girls match and to have them look "just so," I must admit that I adore seeing children, out in public, that most definitely dressed themselves. I'm often happy to have my girls dressed in the clothes of their choosing. Amelie does know, however, that there are some days and occasions that Mommy chooses what will be worn and that's just it. Although, I'm learning that the more and more freedom I give her, the better she does. She seeks guidance and asks questions about appropriateness, for which I am thankful. I hope that she always feels free to ask such questions, about all manner of topics. And I hope and pray that I'm a mother that's able to foster this aspect of our relationship over the years.

Hope you have a fabulous weekend, whether your clothes match or not.

3 comments:

Erin said...

How cute! A girl after my own heart. I love dressing everyone at my house--it doesn't go over as well as it does in your house. For father's day I bought dad some new clothes--seersucker shorts and a pink RL shirt--he didn't like it. Not one bit. He told me I needed to get a boyfriend to dress...

So it goes. Hope all is well. Enjoyed the pictures and story.

<3 ejm

Lynn said...

You've got a whole new bloggy look! Did you need a creative outlet now that Amelie is the family stylist? :o)

Sweet November said...

Love the new blog look - color coordinated to the kids...:)