Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Plattor

When I Googled "plattor," all of the search results were in Swedish.  When I tried "plattor swedish pancakes," the first result was an online recipe that my cousin had created.  Does Google know that she's my cousin?  Or are my family members the only ones that call these tasty treats by this name?  Lorna's recipe is the same one I use.  We have these about once a month.  And on a recent occasion, Amelie learned how to make them.  Hot stove, cast iron, and all!  She's such a big girl, I can hardly even stand it. 
And as with most things fine motor, she was an instant expert.
Oh, and where have I been since March, when I last posted?  I've been living life.  That's where.  And now that school is out and life is a tad slower, I hope to catch up a bit here, in the next month or so.  Unless life gets in the way, that is.

3 comments:

CA Skellys said...

are they similar to ebielskeivers? I have no idea how to spell that...

Nancy said...

I don't know what those are.

Jack Hopkins said...

Hi, My name is Jack. My grandfather was born in a Swedish village (located in the northen part of what is today finland)in the late 1800's and left when he was a teenager in the early 1900's when he Joined the merchant marines. Eventually he ended up in America changing his name from Vilhelm Sjoberg to William Seaberg, and raised my mother in Kingsburg, CA. A number of his siblings, cousins, and other relatives also emmigrated to the USA.

One of our family tradition was to have Plattor (we pronounced it "Plettor") each Christmas morning with butter, whipped cream, syrup, Lingonberrys and powdered sugar, etc.

The plattor recipe that was passed on to our family are very thin crepes 8"-12" in diameter. They are generally served hot off the platter to the plate where the condiments are added and then eaten right away.

A full-blooded swedish friend (3rd generation) of mine in Orange County, CA grew up with the same tradition however, they knew nothing of the term "plettor" or "plattor". I too had difficulty finding any references to the term pletter, plattor, or plettor until I found your blog. However, my daughter met a woman of swedish heritage who was surprized to find someone else with the same tradition as her family and who called the crepes "plattor" as well.

I always assumed that the term plattor came as a result of the cooking pan (platter) that they are cooked on. It is interesting to see that the plattor that you make are a bit smaller than the ones we make. Looking at different websites, it appears that there are a number fo variations to food known as plattor.

What a wonderful tradition to pass on to our families.

God bless you.