Friday, November 19, 2010

T.V. Brains

My kids LOVE to watch t.v.  And I let them.  More than I ever thought I would.  It affords me some time to think, gather my thoughts, take a break, or eat an occasional, quiet meal by myself.  They all like t.v. and would watch much more than the allowed one hour a day, if I let them.  They've all gotten quite good with the remote, even!
We try to let them watch as much commercial-free t.v, as possible.  When we recently acquired real cable (as opposed to the uber-basic type that simply allows us antenna-free viewing), for football season, I realized why my children never knew what to ask for at Christmastime or their birthdays.  They'd never seen commercials!  Because, boy did they start asking, once Diego became a standard selection!  Thankfully Netflix has all three seasons as a View Instantly options.  Even Diego is now commercial-free!  (Have I mentioned how much I dislike Diego?)  

However, they could watch this kind of t.v. all day...


...and I'd be just fine with it!

5 comments:

CA Skellys said...

I can so relate...commercials are a great reason to not have cable and the main reason I don't miss it! And I do love Netflix (and how I miss windows with a view, adorable)

Lea said...

Dora and Diego are forbidden in our house. FORBIDDEN. Their voices drive me crazy. I'll take Elmo any day.

Your kiddos are getting so big, but stay so cute!!!

Sweet November said...

I recently just realized the commercial thing too. We don't have cable, just an antenea, so all they would watch was PBS or qubo so no commercials. But I know that their day care provider lets them watch a half-hour of tv at her place and she has cable. I asked Dylan want he wanted for Christmas and he sang to be "criss, cross, criss, cross crash." Lo and behold, I went on amazon and there it was, the criss cross crash race track for hot wheels cars. haaaaa..... I'm so glad we don't have cable because this would be ten times worse if we did. Especially with the unfortunate amount of TV I let Dylan watch so I can get 6 hours of teleworking in per week.

Katie said...

That is so cute!

There is not Go Diego,Go here! My kids only get to wtach DVDs and PBS. I am pretty particular about what they watch.

Annie said...

if commercials are on (like during football ) at our house, it gets muted. That helps.