Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankful Trees and Hand Turkeys

I'm excited to share our "home changes" photos with you, but am waiting until we're completely done. So, I guess you'll have to wait another six months? No, just kidding. We're still working on the finishing touches. But I can tell you, as I type, Duncan is attaching all of the tall pieces of furniture to the wall. So we've decided on a (semi?) permanent layout for the living room, at least! We're closer than ever, folks, to the big reveal! I know you all can hardly wait!

That said, I just wanted to share a bit of our simple craftiness for the Thanksgiving season.

To begin with, we have our Thankful Tree. Violet and I created the tree and Amelie and I cut out the leaves. Many nights, after dinner, we each share something for which we are thankful and write it on the leaf. It could be something from that day or just something in general. It's been great to talk about thankfulness, pointing out the myriad of blessings in our lives. It's gone hand-in-hand with the discussions we've had about giving away some of our toys and books to others, as well.


We also have our hand turkey table cloth. Because, what's Thanksgiving without a few hand turkeys, right?


Linus even got in on the crayon fun. This is an action shot.


Violet's finished product


and Linus'


We also colored a centerpiece turkey. In case you were wondering, I just drew if free hand. It's not an actual hand turkey.


Amelie, at 4 and five-sixths, is definitely our most intent colorer these days. Here, she's adding turkey food to one of her turkeys. As you may notice later, she kindly gave every turkey some food!


Here, Violet is showing off the hand she used to make her turkey.


Daddy had to make his hand turkey as soon as he got home from work.


Amelie's fancy finished products


And voila! It's completed!
Good thing we won't be home for Thanksgiving and therefore won't spill any turkey gravy on our masterpiece!


Gobble, gobble!

2 comments:

Megan said...

those look just like the hand turkeys we've been making this week! very cute - i have to roll out the big paper sometime - my kids would love that!

Annie said...

That is SO GREAT!! I love both of your projects! And hats off to you for taking the time to do such fun projects with your kids! I feel like all I have been doing for weeks is trying to keep our heads above water - running to activities, going to youth retreats, hosting guests, and cleaning up after it all.
I never take the time to just sit down and play/draw/create with my kids, even though I'd much rather do that than the other things.
I'm so glad you have your priorities in line, even if I do not. :)
~annie